Thursday, January 26, 2017

Glider Kitchens

Glider kitches... why do we use them, what purpose do they serve?
I always thought it was kind of a dumb idea to use these "kitchens." I mean, seriously, give the little guys their food and be done with it. I never really saw the purpose of using one except to take up extra space in the cage and it was just another thing to spend money on... like we don't spend enough money on our cherished fuzzies. Of course, I was having these thoughts when I still had only Henry, then I got Yoda and Lucy... then I added Gizmo (he is currently living with my daughter in his forever home) and then... I got Pebbles and Bam Bam...  Now, I also have Jericho. See how that works... they are truly addictive!
Anyway, back to the point I was trying to make, lol. By the time I was up to 4 gliders, I realized Pebbles and Bam Bam are SO messy; they would throw food everywhere, all over the cage, the floor and of course my wall. I thought it was just because they are blind and couldn't see what they were doing. Turns out neither of them are actually blind, but have cataracts. Even still, the mess was just horrific. I was wiping down and cleaning the cage, floor and wall every single day. As we all know, cleaning up after these babies is sometimes an all day job just in itself.
Eventually I gave in and decided to use the kitchen. WOW, what a difference! The food actually stays pretty well contained in the kitchen and there is not much of a mess to clean up. 
So, why do we use them and what purpose do they serve? ... yeah, I answered that. The kitchen gets pretty dirty but it's easy to grab it out, throw it in the dishwasher or wash it on hand and put it back in the cage. Wa-la.. clean up is done!
I use the igloo style hamster hideaway in my cages but there are several other things you can use. I opted to use the hideaways because they only cost about $5 - $10 depending on where you go and buying was just easier than trying to make one.
I have added some photos for everyone and I highly recommend using one of these.

Thanks Again for visiting my blog!

This is the igloo style I use


Homemade kitchen



I love this one but it looks hard to make 



No comments:

Post a Comment